God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen - Jars of Clay - listen now

Friday, September 2, 2005

Some Good News At Last

While the situation is still dire and desperate in the Katrina Zone, at least some bits of good news are starting to come out.

Fats Domino is alive.



A mother has been found alive and well.

One of my co-workers has finally contacted her family, who lives in the western suburbs, and while they aren't out of the woods yet, they are alive and surviving.

I just wanted to give an update regarding the state of the suburbs west of New Orleans, where my family is stranded. Looting has begun erupting in Kenner where the international airport is located and which sits next to the cities of Metairie and Harahan - where my family lives. My mother's parents live next door to my father who, with my brother, is now armed and guarding their street in Metairie (along with a handful of other neighbors).

My father's mother, who is legally blind and whose medication they found another bottle of (so that is no longer a concern), is being protected by my heavily armed aunts (her daughters) and stepmother - they have begun siphoning gas from vacant neighbor's cars and lawnmowers and taking advantage of the supermarkets which have opened their doors to all who need food and water. They live in Harahan, where the police squad has walled off in full riot gear - they are not allowing anyone into the city who cannot display valid identification proving they live there. All police, national guard and army reserve have orders to shoot to kill.

They are planning to leave when they can, hopefully when the airport is allowed to open to evacuate more people. I have made the offer to house them here with me and my cousin’s family who made it hear before the storm (and who is relocating here as there is NOTHING to return to). Running water has been restored, however it must be boiled (obviously) – still no power anywhere, including the sewage treatment plant, or gas.

My sister is safe in Mississippi with friends as is a cousin in Texas. Jason’s family in Baton Rouge is safe, however, car jackings and some riots have broken out in that area as well. I also have an aunt who is still missing and unaccounted for – she was in the eye of the storm in Mississippi and we have not heard from her since last Friday. We have posted her picture on CNN and Red Cross as a missing person and are praying she is safe.

I ask that you please keep my family in your thoughts as they struggle to abandon the city safely. There is no word when they will allow people to return to the city, and for much of my family it will be to retrieve what they can after relocating to another city (which I hope will be Atlanta, for selfish reasons).


Please keep everyone throughout the whole region in your prayers.

And remember as you donate and send relief, that more than just New Orleans has been devastated.

0 comments:

Recent Comments

Contact Me

eMail:
cyberkevinblogs@gmail.com

MSN:
cyberkevinblogs

Google Chat:
cyberkevin1
Powered By Blogger

Label Cloud

Followers

. . .

. . .

. . .


stats

Blog Archive

Disclaimer

All opinions expressed on this blog are those of the author. The author’s opinions do not represent those of his employers. All original material is copyrighted and property of the author. If you use it at least have the decency to give me credit for it. Don’t steal it or I reserve the right to sue you to heck and back, or worse. Other info may have been copyrighted by someone else; the author believes that such work as is quoted here does not exceed reasonable “fair use” of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the United States Copyright Law as I understand it. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Opinions in comments or trackbacks are not mine, so if you have a problem with those, sorry, I can’t help you. Comments on this blog become the sole property of the blog, and may be reused or quoted on the blog or in any other media. Anyone mentioned in relation to a crime is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Contact: writetokevinp@gmail.com. All e-mails are presumed to be for publication on the site unless I am specifically and politely told otherwise - if you’re rude I’ll publish them just to hack you off. All comments are subject to deletion or revision should the author find them offensive or just simply not like you. Trolling will not be tolerated.

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP